What military records does NARA have?

The National Archives holds Federal military service records from the Revolutionary War to 1912 in the National Archives Structure in Washington, D.C. See details of holdings.

Military records from WWI – present are kept in the National Armed Force Personnel Records Center (NPRC), in St. Louis, Missouri, See details of holdings.

The National Archives does not hold state militia records. For these records, you will require to call the suitable State Archives.

How can Armed force Records aid in my genealogy research study?

Military records can frequently offer important info on the veteran, along with on all family members. For example:

  • Compiled Service Records:
    Assembled service records consist of an envelope containing card abstracts drawn from muster rolls, returns, pay coupons, and other records. They will provide you with your forefather’s rank, unit, date summoned in and mustered out, basic biographical info, medical info, and military information. Learn more
    Pension Applications and Pension Payment Records:
    The National Archives likewise has pension applications and records of pension payments for veterans, their widows, and other successors. The pension records in the National Archives Structure in Washington, D.C. are based upon service in the militaries of the United States in between 1775 and 1916. Pension application files normally supply the most genealogical details. These files frequently include supporting files such as: stories of events throughout service, marriage certificates, birth records, death certificates, pages from family Bibles, household letters, depositions of witnesses, affidavits, discharge papers and other supporting papers.
    Bounty Land:
    Bounty land warrant application files connect to claims based on wartime service between 1775 and March 3, 1855. If your ancestor served in the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, early Indian Wars, or the Mexican War, a search of these records might be rewarding. Bounty land records typically contain files similar to those in pension files, with great deals of genealogical info. A number of the bounty land application files relating to Revolutionary War and War of 1812 service have actually been integrated with the pension files.
    How do I begin? There is no simple description

    for how to begin research study in military records. Your research path will depend on aspects such as: what branch of service your ancestor remained in, which conflict, what dates, whether Regular Army or a volunteer unit, whether your forefather was an officer or enlisted personnel, and whether there was a pension application. The technique to investigating records of enlisted males and females, officers, and for the various branches of the armed force is explained in this article: A Summary of Records at the National Archives Relating to Military Service. Put Together Military Service Records for Volunteers: When researching volunteers who served in the military for a specific war, start with the compiled military service records. Begin by browsing the proper name

    indexes on the National Archives microfilm. If the compiled military service records have actually not been recreated on microfilm, researchers may request to see the original records at the National Archives Building in Washington, D.C. Routine Army: Given That the War Department did not assemble military service records for those who served in the Routine Army, begin your research study with: Employed Guy-Routine Army Enlistment Papers, 1798-1894 Officers -Francis B. Heitman’s Historic Register Dictionary of the Unites States Army, From Its Company, September 29, 1789, to March
    2, 1903 (2 vols) Bounty Land: A Lot Of the bounty land application files associating with Revolutionary War and War of 1812 service have actually been integrated with the pension files. There is also a series of unindexed bounty land warrant

  • applications based upon service in between 1812 and 1855, that includes
  • disapproved applications based upon Revolutionary War service. This series is arranged alphabetically by name of veteran. Read more

    about starting research in military records in the Beginning post, A Summary of Records at the National Archives Associating With Armed Force Service. How can I search the military records? The National Archives holds Federal military service records in 2 repositories: More Places to Look: Note: Person military records are not online. Nevertheless, there are some items readily available online: